Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2444 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Chevy proves it is enthusiast oriented by not voiding warranties of cars used for track days

Yet another reason the Americans deserve your business. How cool is this? You buy your shiny new Camaro SS or Corvette Z06 or whatever GM performance car and take it to the track. You are enjoying your high performance car and something breaks. What now?

Click here to enlarge

You get it replaced under warranty as it should be. Here is the Camaro ZL1's head engineer Al Oppenheiser on the topic:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Al Oppenheiser
    If you're not modifying your car and you take your production car to a track day and you have an issue with one of your parts, it's covered under warranty. We know when somebody changes their ECM calibration and we know if they changed to a cold-air intake, we can tell all that. But driving it as you break it in from the dealership, if you have a half-shaft or whatever, it's covered.
    That is a company that cares about its customers and understands who they are selling these cars to. If you are selling a 640+ horsepower track car, why punish the people giving you business when they take it to the track?

Pretty much every other manufacturer (especially the Germans) will not honor your warranty if you are 'racing' your car or something happens at a track day. Go ahead and take your car drag racing, track it, take it the canyons, or whatever your heart desires. GM will cover you.

Ford will cover you on test and tune days but not for competition racing. Dodge says a track day doesn't void their warranty but they will review warranty claims on a case by case basis. Once again it proves the American car companies are more enthusiast oriented.

Just make sure you resist the temptation to modify the car or you are on your own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like that he still specifically mentions a cold air intake....like that was ever responsible for a warranty claim....ever.

Show me the manufacturer that orders it's dealers to cover the car unless they have significant reason to suspect an aftermarket parts caused the damage....then I will be impressed, maybe even impressed enough to buy american.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Like that he still specifically mentions a cold air intake....like that was ever responsible for a warranty claim....ever.
    I also found this amusing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    I also found this amusing.
    I mean....ok...if you ran a true cold air down behind the bumper and hydrolocked.....maybe...but otherwise...no
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At least Ford/GM is on the right start page.. but yea cold-air-intake hmmm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive had my Bmw in dealerships getting warranty work done (Hpfp) with my abundance of mods on and they still fixed it. The guy I was working with said "yeah your flagged for being modded but as long as those mods are not causing the issue then your good" Though that was pretty cool. Maybe I was lucky. haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a pretty common source of engine failure for turbo subarus lol. Cold air intake without getting tuned and the MAF in a location that is super sensitive to changing the intake combined with a lean tune from the factory and weak pistons = blown up engines.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2444 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    like that was ever responsible for a warranty claim....ever.
    It's happened. Whether it be water or somebody not putting in the filter and the intake sucks something in.

Things happen but yeah, generally, an intake is not going to ruin your motor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2444 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aces Click here to enlarge
    Maybe I was lucky.
    More like it's the law and they have to prove your modifications caused a failure and the HPFP is a common point of failure.

You guys need to learn your rights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    More like it's the law and they have to prove your modifications caused a failure and the HPFP is a common point of failure.

You guys need to learn your rights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
    Yeah a lot of people get pushed around by dealerships because they don't know their rights.
    Even the "voiding warranties" in the title of this article is a little misleading. As far as I know manufacturers can't legally just "void" someones whole warranty they can just choose to deny specific warranty claims if they feel they can prove failure was caused by the modifications.
    I have seen many many instances on local forums where dealerships deny warranty engine replacement and the customer has to escalate the claim to Subaru of America to force the dealership to fix the car under warranty. A lot of times SoA will even give you one free "good faith" replacement even if they have good evidence that your mods caused the damage.
    I have been to a dealership where literally the first thing the service advisor asked was "what tune are you running" and "I hope you know you will be paying for all of this out of pocket" lol
    Needless to say you can always take your car to a different dealership with different management/ownership.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK